Job employment has been a talk globally, especially to job seekers. A background screening uses third parties to properly vet candidates for career opportunities. Some sources provide these documents, such as:
- public records
- law enforcement
- credit bureaus
- previous employers
Pre-employment background checks
With background checks, the employers have information supplied by the applicant formed as the basis for hiring decisions, which are performed through background screening singapore. Background screenings, it allow the employers to get more complete picture of the candidate, which helps the employer:
- Hire qualified people and improve productivity
- Prevents thefts and other criminal behavior
- Prevent workplace harassment and safety issues
- Preserve company reputation and image
What does background screening provide for the employer?
A background check reveals the following details:
- Education History
- Employment history
- Driving records
- Criminal history
- Credit reports
Now all the information is permissible or necessary for every role. For example, driving records are not requested unless the employee operates a vehicle as part of the job. There are several state regulations governing when an individual’s criminal history and report is accessed.
How do background checks work?
Background screenings pose compliance risks if not done correctly. Here is how smart employers vet potential new hires:
- Making an offer. It is best practice to never run a background check until a candidate is offered conditional employment.
- Obtain consent. The federal FCRA and similar state laws need employers to provide written notification and obtain authorization from individuals subject to background checks done by third parties.
- Explain the screening process. Employers should notify the employee and applicant that they use info from background checks when making employment-related decisions. The notice is in writing and in a stand-alone form. It can’t be a part of an employment application. There is minor additional info included, such as the brief description of the nature of the background report, but merely if it doesn’t detract or confuse from the notice itself.
- Apply screening policies invariably. Running a background check on groups of people and not others is considered discriminatory and illegal. The EEOC guides considering an individual’s criminal history when making employment decisions and any other things.
- Consult legal counsel. The FCRA requires employers to follow steps when taking adverse action against a person based on the results of the background check. Employers must consider consulting with counsel before they proceed further.
Background check is essential in job employment to maintain a safe working environment and employee-employer relationship.